Saturday, January 8, 2011

What I drank (and ate) in Vienna pt. 3







Cafe Museum. It hardly gets any more classical Viennese than this.
They just restored it a few months ago. It was the first coffeehouse I visited on my very first trip to Vienna - that must have been 2004 or 2005. Back then it was a lot of marbletopped tables and wooden chairs - just plain cold and snotty. Now we sat in red velvet booths!
The place dates back to 1899 and was the hangout of great artist and personalities like Gustav Klimt, Egon Schiele and Alban Berg.

I got a special coffee, named after some aunt - basically regurlar coffe with lots of foamed milk - yes, I like my coffee with lots of milk - and it's one of the best coffees I've ever had. Mmmm.
Denise had Mozart coffee - with Mozart cream liquour, whipped cream and almondsplits.
We shared a piece of cake made out of black sesame seeds. It was good, and not to sweet. We were still full after the sushi - this was the only cake I had in Vienna!? I'm a bit sad about that, because the cake there is soooo good. 'But why forcefeed myself cake?' I asked - and restrained from ordering truffelcake. (Stupid)
I like the tradition that you get coffee on a silver plate with a glass of water. Here, served by a waiter in white uniform. Oh, the decadence. But the place still had a laid back atmosphere. It was a really nice break.

Oh, and see the tiny sugerpackages - with triangles. Talk about zeitgeist.

Love,
Ida

No comments:

Post a Comment